01 November 2006

A Rainy Day in Jeddah

It rained four days ago. I awoke at 6 in the morning to the alarm then heard the thunder. Looking out of the hotel window I saw a lovely thunderstorm, thunder, lightning and rain. Had a shower, looked out the window again and the road at the back of the hotel (the Madinah Road) was flooded.
It then occurred to me, because it probably only rains once a year here no one worries about building a drainage system. In fact, walking around town I can't recall seeing a drain. This morning, therefore, it was like driving to work through a lake.
I've been coming to the Middle East on and off now for 15 years and today was the first day I have been here in the rain. The nearest I came before was arriving in Kuwait two days after it had rained. I look forward to the few days here to see what happens after the rain - to see how long things remain wet.
Oh, and actually the road out the front of the hotel is also the Madinah Road

1 comment:

Thomo the Lost said...

I should note that it actually rained the next two days as well, just very lightly.

Today was more normally hot and dry :-)